Home > Your government > Municipal elections > 2017 by-election > Non-resident property owners

Non-resident property owners

If you own property in Vancouver – but you live elsewhere in BC – you might qualify to vote as a non-resident property elector.


To vote in the municipal election as a non-resident property elector, you must be:

  1. 18 years of age or older when you register to vote or will be 18 years of age or older on general voting day
  2. A Canadian citizen
  3. A resident in BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day you registered to vote
  4. A registered owner of property in Vancouver for at least 30 days immediately before the day you registered to vote

In addition, you must not be:

  1. Disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or are otherwise disqualified by law
  2. Living in the City of Vancouver
  3. Holding the property in trust

Learn more about eligibility requirements for non-resident property electors  (317 KB)

You can only be registered once on the voters list, no matter how many properties in Vancouver you own.

Is the property jointly owned?

You must have written consent by the majority of registered owners that authorizes you to be the non-resident property elector.

How to register in advance to vote

Registrations must be received by the Election Office by 5:00pm on August 22, 2017.

  1. Complete the Non-Resident Property Elector Registration form. Ensure your signature is witnessed.
  2. If the property is jointly owned, complete the Consent of Registered Owners for Non-Resident Property Elector Registration form.
  3. Include a photocopy of your proof of ownership
  4. Send your application to the Election Office by:

Proof of property ownership

Acceptable proof of ownership documents include:

  • Property tax notice
  • Assessment notice
  • Certificate of title

Election Office – opens August 14

1st Floor 
450 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1R4 


Contact the City Clerk's office

3rd Floor, City Hall
453 W 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4