Alma Street separated sewers project
The City of Vancouver is replacing the combined sewer with separated sewers and upgrading portions of curb and sidewalk on Alma Street in Kitsilano.
Multiple crews are working on the project so it's efficient and coordinated.
- Sewer work: Alma Street between 4th Avenue and 15th Avenue
- Street work: Alma Street between 4th Avenue and 12th Avenue and Dunbar Diversion/Street between 12th Avenue and 16th Avenue
- Start: May 2015
- End: Fall 2015
Hours of work
- Monday to Friday: 7:00am to 3:30pm
- Occasional weekend and holiday work
- Under Construction
Impacts to traffic, parking, businesses, and residents
Traffic should remain open in both directions during construction, with lane closures to allow for sewer and street construction.
Parking along Alma Street will be restricted at times during construction. All temporary parking restrictions will be removed as soon as they aren't needed.
Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times. Most sidewalks will remain open during construction.
How this project will improve the city
The combined sewer we're replacing is 90 to 100 years old and it's reaching the end of its service life. We're replacing it with a separated sewer to:
- Increase our sewer system capacity
- Reduce the risk of flooding
- Stop untreated sewage from entering our waterways during heavy rains
- Meet our target to replace 1 per cent of our sewer system per year with separated sewers
The new sewer mains should serve the neighbourhood for the next 100 years.