Kerrisdale acquired its name in 1905, when the B.C. Electric Railway took over the line from the CPR. Mrs. MacKinnon, one of the area's earliest residents, was asked by the line's general manager to name the tram stop at Wilson Road (now 41st). She chose "Kerrisdale" after her old family home in Kerrydale, Scotland.
In 1908, the area joined the new municipality of Point Grey and the first election was held January 11, 1908. As the geographic centre of the area, Kerrisdale became the political hub. The present Kerrisdale Centennial Park was the site of the original City Hall which at that time contained the Council chamber, municipal offices, the police court and a two cell jail.
From 1904 to 1912, Kerrisdale boasted a general store and post office, a hardware store and a real estate office, at the intersection of Wilson Road and West Boulevard. In 1912, Frank Bowser and Frank Burd built the Bowser Block, which still occupies the southwest corner of the intersection.
Streetcar service arrived on 41st Avenue in 1912, passing through the developing commercial area at 41st Ave. and West Boulevard. Kerrisdale joined the City of Vancouver in 1929 when it amalgamated with Point Grey.
Kerrisdale retains the basic development pattern of the early years, established by the Wilson Road and Vancouver-Lulu island train tracks.
Did you know?
In 1908, the two-room Kerrisdale School opened. Today the school is one of the city's largest. And Vancouver's first rock and roll concert was held in the Kerrisdale Arena. Bill Haley and the Comets played there in 1956.